Monday, May 3, 2010

The First Rule of Awesomess

After reading Tony Hsieh's book Delivering Happiness, I came up with a personal core value map - it is called Awesomeness.

Using the letters in the word Awesomeness - I tried to come up with a personal mission statement that encompasses what I have learned, what I have done about it, and how it has helped.

The first rule of Awesomeness is:
Always Remember the Little People

My mom used to give the landscapers a six pack of beer at the end of each month. They were paid well for their hard work and they seemed to enjoy their work but while the neighbors shouted instructions at them; my mom gave them beer. It seemed like the right thing to do to.

I don't believe I ever became so overconfident that I categorized myself in front of another. It never made sense.

At some point, I came to realize that those who abused their authority had nothing else going for them and were thus not in the position of authority for long. On a larger scale, the condemnation of others on the basis that they know less than you is a way to divide not motivate. No one matters more than anyone else, everyone knows more about something than you do, and the same people you see on the way up you will see on the way down.

So, here are a few things to consider when considering others:
* If you ask someone to assist you in a friendly way, they usually put you at the top of the list
* Most people treat support staff like subordinates - don't
* Consider that they might not be as engaged as you are - and help them get there
* To Reiterate: The Same People You See on the Way Up, You Will See on the Way Down!


Don't Forget to Remember!


Dave



No comments:

Post a Comment