Tuesday, April 29, 2014

How I Learned To Advise Others

Every extraordinary person I know has had an exceptional mentor. Be they a coach, manager, priest or bartender; those who are excellent at what they do have found someone who saw their hidden greatness. I've been extremely fortunate to have a ton of amazing unofficial advisors along the way. Let me tell you why this is important.

The reason I never rested on my laurels is because I had no idea they existed. I lead a life as a youngster that Daniel Plainview would be proud of. My dad made sure I was part of his life...during professional time. I loved it!!!! I have met people who have prioritized my human progression over their own. All of my great achievements have begun with people who were willing to take a chance on me.

Here's How to Help People Take a Chance on You:

Know Your Purpose
I have had several meetings with well-intended young people. More often than not, the determination of these young people is more abundant than their defined path. There are people who want to do something...they just don't know what that something might be. I also meet people who have grandiose dreams without applicable credentials.

Two Things:
1. Relate Your Passion To Your Career Choice.
2. Be Willing to Start at the Bottom.  

Be Passionate, Not Desperate
There are people I know who have created their dream job. They learned a profession, acquired the necessary certification, slept in their car to get an internship, elevated to an entry level position, and climbed the ladder (one rung at a time). Exhausting....! Success takes a dare to dream, the brains to make it happen, and a whole lotta hard work. Oh, and you have to learn to ignore the word, "NO"!

It takes very little time to detect a person who has a goal but is unwilling to achieve it.

Cardinal Rule:
* Don't ask for advice only to proclaim that you have already thought of that.

Deliver 
There is nothing more telling than a real-life example. Your chances of being a Sales Superstar are drastically increased if you have displayed excellence in sales that the hiring manager has witnessed directly.

Any hiring manager with 15 resumes on his/her desk will always go with the safe bet. It makes the learning curve less-drastic and if a qualified candidate fails there is proof behind the hiring decision. It is far more difficult to pass-up the qualified industry veteran for a new kid with a whole bunch of ideas.

Why Not Make a Deal?    

The industry veteran will not start at the bottom and they will bolt when a better offer comes along. If you are willing to take an entry-level position, perform well, and apply your results to your plan for the future... you will win.

We fear success because we are unwilling to work hard or we are afraid that our world-changing idea will be challenged.

Don't Forget to Remember!

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment