Tuesday, December 5, 2017

So Much Wasted Time


As a 70's pop singer departed the earth his final words were, "so much wasted time".

After 67 years it would be a shame to discover your precious time had been wasted. Or would it?

When your time is up, how will your legacy present itself?

Having spent only half the time on earth as aforementioned man with great hair, I am willing to add a few thoughts to his final words.....

Assessment of The Moment
In my 20's I had the motivation of a thousand armies. Time on my side but my every action was a reaction. I waited for instruction, cleaned my plate and asked for more. I was motivated but I had no idea where to put my energy.

I eventually discovered that it is better to get there second with a better plan than to show up first without an idea why you are there.

Assessing a situation means understanding who you are talking to, what problem they may have and how you can assist in solving said problem. It's as easy (and as difficult) as that.

People tend to talk too much and listen too little.

I could have the most innovative dog food on the market but it you have a cat I'd be barking up the wrong proverbial tree.

Problem Solving comes down to: Who, What, Where & Why.... but mostly WHY.

If all you have is dog food it's probably best to avoid the cat lady's apartment.
 
Passion Can Get The Best of Us
I used to pound my fists on the table because I was so fired up by the potential of our team... my actions were deemed reprehensible. I wanted people to understand my motivation but I was channeling my energy in a disastrous manner. I couldn't understand why I wasn't getting promoted.

I recently witnessed a man 6 months from retirement throw a fit in front of a room full of customers. He was 65 years old and had spent 2/3rds of his life working his tail off... but his influence had waned.

We all get fired up!! Those who succeed have learned to encompass their passion into a few wise words.


The Edges Get Rounder  
I'll never forget the image of Laird Hamilton after he conquered Peahi. He had spent his entire life searching for the perfect wave and 30 seconds defined his pursuit of perfection in poetic imagery. He had perfected his craft. After he thanked God for the opportunity, he probably questioned what he would do with his life going forward.

What do you do when there are no more dragons to slay?

Professional athletes get too old to play the game.

Even you will get to the point where the job you love will have passed you by.

Now What?

The determination of success can be a tricky thing.

At some point you come to realize:
1. Only you can determine the things that will make you happy.
2. What you will need to do to achieve what you feel to be meaningful.
3. How to eliminate all of the other things that are are getting in your way.

Don't Forget to Remember!

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment