Monday, October 23, 2017

10 Years After


Today marks my 10th year in the human capital management industry. I was prepared to write a post about all the things done well and the opportunities missed, but you've read 500 such posts on this blog.

What does it really mean for a man nearing his mid 40's to have 2 decades of work experience?

I've never taken anything for granted. I've always appreciated my employer's willingness to write me a check every other week. I've also earned every penny I've ever made!

People are successful because: 
1. They work hard
2. They are creative
3. They understand how to design solutions to ever-evolving business problems

....I'd like to think I possess a combination of all these skills.

I've made hundreds of friends in the business world. To do right by the people who have helped me succeed is important to me. Results come and go, but the friendships you make are an awesome reminder of a skill that cannot be tracked or quantified:

The ability (in the midst of an ever-stressful workplace) to be a Good Person!

I never want to get to a point in my life where I no longer have something meaningful to contribute to my employer. When I finally hit the wall, I hope I'm not too proud to realize it. I've seen amazing young people leave great companies because no one helped them channel their youthful exuberance into professional excellence. I've seen heartless people produce results because they were willing to minimize the efforts of others to protect their own success.

I've seen people's career's ruined by their own selfishness. I believe in the long run nice guys/girls finish first. Integrity may not increase your commission check but it may be the VERY thing that gets you into heaven. He/she who dies with the most toys does not win.

I've always thought myself smart enough to talk business with any CEO. Most every CEO I've talked to just wanted to know about my kids and how I've been spending my free time (because they never have time for the little things). I hope I always have time for the little things!

I've been really fortunate to have worked for 4 great companies in 20 years. I've never felt as though I didn't have an opportunity to be successful.

I've had 3 bosses who I have disliked. Not because they were bad bosses but because they were bad people.

I've had 7 bosses who I have absolutely loved. They appreciated my hard work, helped me fix the things I sucked at, and always reminded me to celebrate my success.

Some people choose to manage instead of lead because they feel trusting relinquishes control.

I've had co-workers lose loved ones, get divorced or struggle to find true happiness. It is in these times that I'd like to think my employment has been valued more than ever.

If I was to tell my children what mattered most in business, it would probably be a combination of these things:

1. Nothing is more important than hard work.
2. Creativity is an irreplaceable skill set that is uncommon in business.
3. The same people you see on the way up, you will see on the way down.
4. Be Likeable!
5. Do your fighting in the ring.

Never Give Up!

Celebrate Everything!

Don't Forget to Remember,

Dave   

No comments:

Post a Comment