Tuesday, July 12, 2011

How To Get To Heaven

With the insane amount of work I do on a daily basis, I occasionally get immersed in detail. At the point my sanity begins to wane...I make an effort to pull myself back into reality. Through a long walk with my I-pod my reflection keeps me grounded. My latest development:
No One Ever Got Into Heaven for Doing Their Job Well

(I am not an overly-religious person but you get the almighty metaphor)


Simon Sinek's book "Start With Why" has been a pillar in our organization. The premise:
The WHAT (detail of job requirement) is insignificant. One must be driven by the WHY (genuine personal purpose).

Mr. Sinek validates the point of my recent stress reduction walk in the woods. We will never be remembered for submitting a report on time, hitting our quota, or for ordering office supplies efficiently. The mundane detail comes and goes. We get task obsessed, expect a great deal from one another and question our professional relevance. My guess is that the last time you walk out the office door people will remember you not for what you did but why you did it:
Were you a decent person to be around?

I regret to inform you, dear readers, that I have lost sight of my children's moments in the sun because I was side tracked by my blackberry. I have insulted people I care about and have missed countless hours of sleep over things that are out of my control.

As foolish as it seems...I just care (a lot). I wish I wasn't as intense as I tend to be. I sometimes wish I didn't care so much.

Here's what I know:
~ I go to the same coffee shop every day. Not because I like their coffee, I like the people who work there.
~ I drink the same beer all the time because of the dedication the brewer puts into each and every pint.
~ There are certain musicians whose words hug my heart (the accompanying instrumentation not the song's primary attraction).

In starting with WHY:
*People make up for faulty products
* Business Mission trumps inefficency
* People who have walked in our shoes remind us how to run


This life is fleeting. We cannot let the job description distract us from that which is genuinely important to us.

Don't Forget to Remember!

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment